As much as possible, we want our baby to be in the safest environment possible. But while we can protect them from visible dangers, we might always protect them from the ones that the eye can’t easily see. We are talking about the pollutants like mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, dust mites, viruses and other microorganisms that are lurking in the air.
When inhaled, these pollutants could inflict a lot of harm to your little one. This can cause an allergic reaction and can bring about flu-like symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, wheezing, runny nose and watery eyes.
One way to prevent this from happening is with the air of an air purifier. There are plenty of air purifiers out there safe to be installed in a baby’s room. We checked out the ones that are safe to use and have the air purifying performance that can truly make a difference in air quality. Find out below which products you should get.
Benefits of an Air Purifier for Babies
Babies have a small lung capacity. That means that in order to take in the recommended amount of air, they need to breathe in more often. Compared to an adult, babies, as well as toddlers breathe twice as much as an average adult. That equates to 40-60 breathing times in just one minute.
This is the norm for babies, but it actually has some bad effects. Because your baby is breathing more, he/she is also inhaling more. For every inhalation, more airborne pollutants are being breathed in. This is why babies are more susceptible to illnesses brought about by viruses and bacteria. Their immune systems are not just weaker than adults, they are also more predisposed to inhaling bacteria and viruses.
Today, many homes have indoor air quality that is poorer than outdoor air quality. Dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, bacteria, viruses, smoke and VOCs can accumulate in the home and can be inhaled by your little one.
When you use an air purifier, your baby can be safe from these pollutants. You might also have a less fussy baby on your hands. It can also help in improving the sleep quality of your little one.
Best Air Purifier for Baby
Here are the air purifiers for baby that you should consider getting:
- Levoit LV-H132 Air Purifiers for Home with True HEPA Filter
- Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters
- Mooka Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
- Geniani Home Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
Check out the following features of these products:
1. Levoit LV-H132 Air Purifiers for Home with True HEPA Filter
This compact air purifier is safe for your baby to use. It is 100% ozone free and it does not make use of UV technology or emit ions What it uses is a 3-stage filtration system involving the true HEPA filter, activated carbon filter and a pre-filter to eliminate up to 99.97% of pollutants such as mold spores, pet dander, pollen, dust and smoke.
- You will find this air purifier a good choice because of its durable build. It is less expensive, but it does a great job in removing pollutants in the air even in bigger spaces.
- It is completely ozone free and does not emit UV or ions that can be harmful for babies.
- It comes with all the bells and whistles you might be looking for in an air purifier including a nightlight function and 3-speed fan setting.
- It has a compact size that you can easily bring with you no matter where you go. Do you often go on vacations with your little one? This one should be a good choice because it is small and portable enough to fit in luggage spaces.
- It comes with a one-year buyer assurance and lifetime support. It is also backed by a 2-year warranty. If you encounter difficulties with your unit, simply talk to their customer support.
- It is quite an affordable air purifier. It is less expensive than others out there.
- The buttons can be a bit sensitive. Some people also said the highest speed setting can emit a loud noise.
2. Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters
This sleek, unique air purifier performs best in spaces with sizes from 10 square feet to 175 square feet. It is ideal for bedrooms and small spaces like offices, nurseries and even living rooms. It has a good energy star rating that ensures it will not consume too much energy.
- Air goes through a 3-part filtration system. For every filter step it goes through, it effectively eliminates pollutants in the air. It can remove up to 99% of pollutants such as allergens, smoke, spores, dust mites, odors and pet dander.
- It keeps unpleasant odor in the room at bay. It also effectively removes gases such as VOCs.
- The pre-filter is washable, so you don’t need to spend more money to operate and maintain it.
- It is ideal to use in baby’s room because it has a low noise level. With only 17 dB on the lowest setting to 46 dB when set on the highest setting.
- It has a good capacity. This can work even in spaces as big as 175 square feet.
- It is small and portable. You can bring it with you anywhere.
- This unit has a nice and attractive design that can blend in seamlessly in your baby’s nursery décor. You also have various color choices to choose from.
- For its size and capacity, it is a bit expensive. It is more expensive than other air purifiers out there.
3. Mooka Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
Here is another baby-friendly air purifier that makes of a 3-step filtration process. Air goes through a preliminary layer and then a True HEPA layer and carbon layer where it effectively eliminates particles and odors. Keep your baby safe from allergens and harmful microorganisms in the air. It also works in minimizing dust in your house.
- This is a small and compact unit that will not take up so much space in your home. You can easily set it up on a nightstand or a bedside table. It even has a nightlight function that is soothing to see.
- It truly does a great job in improving indoor air quality. It does not just eliminate pollutants in the air, it also works in getting rid of unwanted odor.
- You can rely on this to work quietly in your baby’s room.
- It has a one-button setting. You can operate it easily.
- It is completely safe to use as there are no ozone or other harmful substances like UV that can damage the respiratory system.
- This is a highly recommended choice for people on a budget.
- It comes with a free filter replacement if you register it.
- It might not be the best for bigger rooms.
4. Geniani Home Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
Protect your baby from allergies and illnesses caused by harmful pollutants in the air. Air goes through 3 stages of filtration system that works in getting rid of almost all the harmful contaminants and particles in the air. It is very compact with a diameter of only 7.5 inches and a height of 13.5 inches.
- It has a nice and attractive design that you will love to display in your home or can blend in well in your baby’s nursery. It also comes with attractive features such as a nightlight function.
- It is safe to be used in homes with kids and babies. It only goes through a 3-stage filtration system where the filters work in purifying the air. The antibacterial effect of this air purifier works in keeping the air healthy.
- You can choose from 3 different speed levels. Choose a slow speed level if the air is relatively good and a high setting during those seasons when there is an outbreak or when there are a lot of pollen in the air.
- It is ARB certified. This is an assurance that it is safe to use, and it will last for a long time.
- Some said it tends to produce a humming noise at times.
Which One Should You Get?
Best for Small to Medium Sized Bedrooms: Levoit LV-H132 Air Purifiers for Home with True HEPA Filter. The size and capacity of this air purifier are just right for small to medium sized bedrooms. It can still effectively eliminate harmful odors while being ozone-free.
Durable Choice: Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters. So many air purifiers out there that have a small and portable size break down even before a year is over. This one does not. A lot of customers can attest to how durable it is.
Least Expensive Choice: Mooka Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter. This is the air purifier you should look for if you are on a tight budget. It still offers a lot of great features but with a lower price tag.
Portable and Lightweight: Geniani Home Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter. Bring this air purifier with you everywhere. It is compact and portable enough to be taken with you anywhere you want.
Tips in Buying the Best Air Purifier for Baby
Not all the air purifiers out there are created equal or even safe for baby to use. What you should avoid are those air purifiers that have ionizer features or the ones with ozone generators. They are bad for the environment and they can be harmful to your little one.
You should look for the following things instead:
1. A true HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter.
These filters are the best ones. The True HEPA filter works in getting rid of even the smallest of pollutant in the air. It can get rid of particles as small as 0.3 microns. It can effectively filter out harmful air pollutants and contaminants such as pet dander, mold spores, dust mites, pollens, viruses and bacteria.
The activated carbon filter, on the other hand, is what can get rid of unwanted odors in the air. It keeps your baby’s room fresh-smelling. It also removes VOCs from the air. These VOCs can be emitted by mattresses and other furniture or household materials.
2. Look for variable speed settings.
Look for those that come with a low, medium or high-speed setting so you can change it depending on the conditions in your home. During days when pollution is at an all-time high or when there is a high level of pet dander or even pollen in the air such as during the spring season, setting it to a high speed is good. On normal days, you can go for low or normal settings.
3. It should have quiet functions.
You don’t want to disrupt your baby’s sleep with an air purifier that produces so much noise. Choose one that works quietly and does not emit hissing or whirring sound.
4. It should be easy to operate.
Simple operations make life a lot easier. You don’t want to overcomplicate things by getting an air purifier that is too difficult to operate.
5. A night light is a handy feature.
This can create a relaxing environment in your baby or toddler’s room. You can turn off the main light and just use the night light to make it easier to see in your baby’s room.
6. It should have a nice and compact design.
You would want it to be small enough to fit in your baby’s room. Go for one with a portable and compact design that makes it easier to transport no matter where you want to place it.
Improving indoor air quality should be a priority if you have a baby in your house. Make sure you look for a good air purifier that will work in the space you intend to place it.
If you’re not sure whether one of these models is the best choice for you, check out our general buying guide to find expert reviews of the best air purifiers!
You can also visit our homepage to find more reviews and recommendations for the best dehumidifiers and other appliances to improve your home air quality.