In this Guide
Most of us treat our pets like family members. We let them roam around freely in our home. Pets have a way of reducing stress levels and enhancing the quality of life.
But did you know that pets can also contribute to indoor air pollution? If you have four-legged pets, chances are, they leave pet dander and hair behind. Pet dander and hair can accumulate and become airborne, which can irritate us when we breathe them. If you have a particularly sensitive immune system, your body can think these substances are harmful and cause allergic reactions such as wheezing, coughing, runny nose and watery eyes.
One way to minimize this bad effect of having pets at home is through the help of an air purifier. Install this in your home and experience a major change in the quality of the air you are breathing.
How to Improve Indoor Air Quality If You Have Pets at Home
You can still live in harmony with your pets even though they can contribute to bad indoor air quality. The following are some of the things you can do to control this problem:
1. Vacuum your home regularly.
Use a vacuum cleaner with HEPA filters. A powerful vacuum cleaner will work in picking pet dander and hair on the surfaces of your home, particularly on couches, bedding, crevices, carpeting and baseboards. If there are areas where your pets frequent, vacuum them every day.
2. Groom your pets well.
Give them a bath as regularly as you can in order to naturally remove dead skin cells. Also make sure you trim their fur carefully. Too much fur is not just bad for your health, it is bad for theirs as well, especially when the weather is hot and humid.
3. Steam clean carpets, mattresses and couches.
Steam cleaning is one of the most effective ways to get rid of microscopic germs and bacteria from the surfaces of your home. Use this method of cleaning on furniture that you often use such as the couch or surfaces such as the carpet. There are professionals today who can go to your home and perform this task.
4. Have your HVAC and vents serviced at least once a year.
Pet dander and hair can get in your air vents and your HVAC system. You need to clean them periodically in order to keep these harmful allergenic components at home at a minimum.
5. Air your home out.
In the morning when the weather is agreeable, open your windows to let fresh air in. Installing an air purifier is also a sterling choice, so make sure you do this if you want to battle bad indoor air quality. An air purifier will also make your home a better place to live in for pets who have sensitive health. Pets should not be exposed to chemicals from household products or their health will be compromised.
Best Air Purifier for Pets 2019
After checking out what the market has to offer, here are the air purifiers great for homes with pets we highly recommend:
- Hamilton Beach Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets
- Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA and Eco Mode
- Blueair Blue Pure 211 + Air Purifier
- Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
Check out the pros and cons of these products:
1. Hamilton Beach Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets
Designed to fit the needs of homeowners with a lot of pets at home, this sleek-looking air purifier performs well, thanks to its high-performance filters that are capable of removing airborne particles such as pet dander and pet fur. It can eliminate particles as miniscule as 3 microns. Use this to purify the air of spaces up to 140 square feet in size.
- This unit can be used in two ways. You can prop it up vertically or set it down to a horizontal position. This makes it easier to install in different spaces in your home.
- Aside from pet dander and pet hair, it is also capable of removing unwanted odors left behind by pets, thanks to its carbon zeolite filters that are replaceable. The HEPA filter in it is permanent, so there is no need to spend money to replace it.
- It operates quietly in a corner. Your peace won’t be disrupted as this works in keeping indoor air quality good.
- It has 3-speed settings. You can choose the one that will quickly make a difference in your home.
- There were those who said if you turn the speed setting to high, it can be fairly noisy.
2. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA and Eco Mode
The design is what will draw you to this air purifier first. It looks nothing like an air purifier. Instead, it looks like a futuristic machine that makes a space look more modern. Inside this modern-looking appliance are filters that work in keeping indoor air quality conducive. It has a 4-stage filtration system that includes a pre-filter, an odor filter, a true HEPA filter and a bipolar ionizer to minimize or completely eliminate airborne pollutants as well as odors.
- The attractive design is a winner in our book. It instantly makes a statement in the house. You can display it proudly and can even become a conversation starter.
- One of its nifty features is its air quality indicator. It has been integrated with sensors that detect when there are changes to indoor air quality and makes improvements as necessary. The changing lights will tell you when there are changes to indoor air quality.
- You can schedule when you want the air purifier to operate. If you are leaving the house but still want your pets to be comfortable even when you are not around, just use the timer.
- It comes with an alert to let you know when it is time to replace the filters. This makes it easier to maintain your air purifier.
- This unit has a Vital Ion System. Aside from the filtration stages, this ion system works in removing particles in the air with the help of a bipolar ionizer.
- It automatically stops when it detects that indoor air quality is good. It helps you save more energy.
- Some said the instructions are not very helpful. They had to figure out how to make this work without the instructions.
3. Blueair Blue Pure 211 + Air Purifier
Perhaps the most expensive air purifier you can get for your home is this one from Blueair. It is worth every penny you spend on it though because of its ability to remove 99% of particulate matters in the air. From pet dander to viruses to cooking odors to smoke, there is nothing that this air purifier can’t get rid of. It is ideal for bigger rooms as it is capable of covering up to 540 square feet of space when using the maximum cleaning power.
- This unit has a minimalist design that should blend in seamlessly with modern appliances. It even comes in different colors, so you can choose the one that works well for the design of your home.
- It only uses 60 watts of energy even when the fan speed is set to high. It is more energy efficient than many of the air purifiers out there.
- It makes use of a 3-part filtration system that removes almost all pollutants in the air. It also features an activated carbon filter that removes unwanted odor.
- The pre-filter is washable, so you don’t have to spend more money replacing the filter.
- You can be assured that it will work quietly.
- It can work in bigger spaces. If you have an air purifier as large as 600 square feet, you will find this an ideal choice.
- It is a bit more expensive than the others.
4. Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
This machine effectively eliminates unwanted particles in the air and taking away bad odor with it. It has the ability to remove pollutants in small to medium-sized spaces. It can perform well in spaces below 360 square feet. This unit goes through 4 stages of filtration system. The first is the Nano-Cold Catalyst Filter that gets rid of bigger particles such as dust and pet dander. It also has activated carbon filter, antibacterial filter and true HEPA filter.
- You can rely on this air purifier to truly improve the air quality in your home. It is capable of getting rid of up to 99.9% of pollutants and allergens. It also effectively eliminates pet and dust as well as odors and mold spores. You can breathe easily with the help of this air purifier.
- A sensor is incorporated to detect air quality. It lets you know when air quality is getting poorer.
- It also features a UV light sterilizer plus ionizer that works in getting rid of more airborne bacteria and germs. This is good if there are outbreaks or there are people with colds or flu in your household and you want to contain the spreading of the illness.
- This unit works quietly. With just 18 dB of noise level, it is one of the quietest units out there.
- This unit has a nice and compact size that will work in cramped spaces.
- Some said it emits a plastic odor at first use.
Which One Should You Get?
Least Expensive Choice: Hamilton Beach Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets. This is your best bet if you are looking for an air purifier that won’t break the bank but is still capable of providing superior filtering benefits. It can effectively keep a home with a lot of pets safe from odors and from the accumulation of dust and pet dander.
Has Energy-Saving Functions: Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA and Eco Mode. This unit is impressive because of its design. But more than that, it also features eco-friendly and energy-saving benefits. It automatically turns off once it detects that indoor air quality is good.
Ideal for Bigger Rooms: Blueair Blue Pure 211 + Air Purifier. This is the air purifier to get if you are purifying the air of a bigger space. It has a more powerful and more effective performance that works in bigger spaces.
Extremely Quiet: Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier. This unit is one of the best air purifiers out there because it works quietly. It doesn’t disrupt the household.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Air Purifier for Pets
Take your time in deciding which air purifier to get. Here are a few factors you need to go over to make sure that you are getting the best one:
Filtration System. The filtration system will let you know what it is capable of removing. It should be able to go through a multi-stage filtration system and one of them should include HEPA filtration in order to remove up to 99% of harmful microorganisms in the air.
Pet Odor Elimination. Does it come with a system that effectively eliminates odor? Carbon filters are good when it comes to removing bad odors in the house.
Square Footage. How big of a space can it cover? If you have a big living room, you would want to make sure that it can cover that big of an area. A smaller air purifier might not work that well in purifying the air in a bigger living room. Always check its coverage and find out if it works for your needs.
Quiet Operations. Since you will have the air purifier running all day, possibly on a corner of your living room, it is imperative that you look for one that operates quietly. You would want to make sure that it doesn’t create a loud buzzing sound that is annoying to hear.
Maintenance. Do you need to replace the filters regularly? How often does it require filter replacement? Can you easily find replacement filters for it? How much will it cost you? Ask yourself these questions before buying.
Hopefully, you’ve seen at least one or two air purifiers in this guide that can tackle your pet issues. You can click on the links in our reviews to see current prices, full spec lists and more.
Of course, we’ve only included a few models here. If you’re not sure whether one of these units is the best choice for you, don’t worry! Visit our general buying guide to find the best air purifier for you. You can also head to our homepage to find links to all our latest reviews, blog posts, and more.